Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Musings of a Mommy who made Meatloaf for Dinner...

It is the fourteenth of September... payday is tomorrow and dinner consists of what I rummaged out if the freezer and spice cabinet.  I defied my family and made the dreaded .... meatloaf... That's right folks, the lowly ground hamburger meat can be used in many delicious ways, but for some reason when you mix it with egg, breadcrumbs and seasonings and press it in a bread pan it becomes a divisive dinner that can polarize a table in mere seconds. 


I paired it with Maddy's favorite, lemon pepper roasted potato's, and corn steeped with butter.  I even made makeshift dinner rolls for the carb lovers in my family... but the star of the show, tonight's protien is a source of dread for the entire family.  When Brian sent his almost daily text question of, "whats for dinner?" I only got a sad face as a reply to my answer.  When Maddy came home from school with an expectant look on her face and a loaded question in her mouth, her almost immediate groan sounded through the house.

This of course got me to thinking... what is WRONG with meatloaf.  It is hamburger, and egg and breadcrumbs.  In our case I have topped it off with a ton of Barbeque sauce and baked it off until the edges are crisp and the inside is juicy.  So far so good right?  So where does meatloaf go wrong?  Is it the school lunches that we all have suffered through as children?  Is it the fact that there are soooo many other options of yummy things to do with ground meat?  Or maybe... just maybe it is the name... Meatloaf.  Shakespeare once wrote, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet."  Does Shakespeare have it right?? Or, is the combination of "meat" and "loaf" so very off putting that people cannot get past it?

I have said before that my mind works in mysterious ways.  Please excuse this evenings ramblings on dinner at the Rustay house... But I wonder, if meatloaf was called by another name, would it taste any better to the "loaf haters" of the world?
Just some of the "loaf haters" in the Rustay family





No comments:

Post a Comment